Wednesday 17 April 2013

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.

I either had a painting brainwave last weekend or one of those 'why did you decide this was a good idea?' moments. I haven't had much time to dedicate to any artwork recently, although things should start to get a bit more flexible from this point forward. Not being able to throw around some paint has been starting to make me go crazy, the lack of a creative outlet Laura style (as opposed to Gangnam...) has been making my brain go for walkies at the most inopportune moments. To combat this I have just started a slow burner of a painting that I can add to whenever I get a spare hour or two. Normally I tend to do a whole painting in one go - I just need a free evening and it always helps if I don't need to get up very early the following day! It will be interesting to see if I can pull this painting out of the bag (or more appropriately out of the bin) for two reasons:
  1. My unfortunate ability to get bored with things that take forever and not finish it. 
  2. The fact that it started as a painting of something else, made me very angry, got smeared with all the left over paint on my palette and then painted over in black.
Not a very fortuitous start, but then some of my initially tormented paintings turn out to be my favourites, and I did have a 'light bulb' idea to save this after the oh-so-black paint thickly went on the canvas. You have got to have a little suffering in there somewhere otherwise where is the challenge!? 

(At least that is my excuse for when a painting goes horribly, horribly wrong.....)







No comments:

Post a Comment