Monday 13 October 2014

Man on Wire

I don't have anything to do this week. Well I do, I have lots of things, but nothing to any deadlines. Hopefully this week is going to be all about me. Me, me, me, and fingers crossed I can spend a few days achieving some art things.

I haven't managed to write about any notable films recently, mostly because I haven't watched any. I did however, manage to catch a relatively interesting one last week. It was 'Man on Wire' and about Philippe Petit's tightrope walk between the Twin Towers. I think it was more interesting/poignant to watch as the Twin Towers are no longer with us. I also bow down in awe to the man's balancing skills knowing I can barely hold Tree Pose in yoga for more than about 60 seconds.

The film was made up of archive footage, re inactions and interviews with the main protagonists of the stunt and gave an impressive insight into the preparations and emotions of the people involved. Philippe Petit is very charismatic in a leading role and it is easy to get wrapped up into what he was trying achieve. It was also interesting to see the long term emotional effects of the stunt on his friends, with the interviewees getting caught up in the drama of their remembered emotions, tensions and pressure.

It is definitely an interesting watch to see such dedication, determination, drive and absolute, nutty bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment