Tuesday 15 September 2015

Heartbeat

I had a day off today. A day in which I chose to explore London with one of my friends. I say explore, it was more of a case of go shopping and have lunch and maybe a cocktail and then one of the best hot chocolates I have ever had, but explore sounds better.

I did chance upon some art as well. Currently in the glazed atrium of Covent Garden is an artwork 'invasion' entitled Heartbeat. It consists of 100, 000 (really that many?) balloons, pulsating with light, at a heartbeat rate. Apparently they are a metaphor to represent the fact that the building is the beating heart of the Covent Garden area. The installation has been designed by Charles Pétillon and is his first public work of art, and first live work outside of France. It certainly changed the character of the space, and is very eye catching but whether it achieves its purpose is difficult to say. It made the space seem a little oppressive as it has dramatically lowered the implied ceiling level, but no one expects being sat with a heart to be an airy occurrence. It is always interesting to see a space you know so well with a different face though so I am all for it (but possibly glad it is temporary).



Today also had the added reward of being a painting SOLD day. There is nothing quite like checking your emails on the train home and seeing a 'congratulations you just sold a painting' heading pop up. I don't know why, but quite often when I have a random day off in London I seem to sell something. I don't know whether this is because my friend is a lucky charm or whether I just need to have more days off. I will take either of those options.

Repeat ad infinitum.


No comments:

Post a Comment